Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Sanaz Mostaghim
Sanaz Mostaghim is a full professor of Computer Science at the Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg.
She received her PhD degree in electrical engineering and computer science under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Jürgen Teich at the University of Paderborn in 2004. In her PhD thesis, she worked on bio-inspired optimization methods such as multi-objective evolutionary algorithms and particle swarm optimization methods which she applied to problems in computational chemistry and Antenna Design at PaSCo.
Sanaz joined the Computational Laboratory (CoLab) of the computational science department at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich in Switzerland in 2004. As a postdoctoral fellow, she worked together with Prof. Werner Halter from the Geology Department at ETHZ on quantification of multi-component silicate melts. She applied the simulation-based optimization methods and particle swarm optimization to this thermodynamic problem.
In 2006, Sanaz joined Institute AIFB at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) and started working on her habilitation in applied computer science which she successfully finished in 2012. The title of her habilitation thesis is: Self-organized Parallel Optimization.
In 2010, Sanaz was a visiting scholar at Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia and in 2013 she has been a visiting scholar at the Yale University, New Haven, USA, where she visited the Social Robotic Laboratory.
Since October 2013, she is working at the faculty of computer science at Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg.
In 2014, Sanaz received the prectigious DFG Heisenberg-Professorship at KIT and an offer for professorship at the University of Lübeck, which she declined.
In 2018, Sanaz received an offer for Professorship from University of Southern Denmark (SDU).
Sanaz is an active member in international communities. She is a technical committee member at IEEE Computational Intelligence Society and since 2012 is serving as an associate editor for IEEE transactions on evolutionary computation and IEEE transactions on cybernetics. She is the chair of task force Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization of IEEE-CIS and the founding chair for task force Optimization Methods in Bioinformatics and Bioengineering (OMBB) of IEEE-CIS (chair: 2013-2015).
Sanaz has a bachelor and a master degree in electrical engineering and biomedical engineering which she received in 1998 and 2001.
Here you find Sanaz's page on AcademiaNet.
- since 2018: Appointed as the member of the advisory board on digitalization, Ministry of Economy, Science and Digitalization, State Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany
- since 2016: Deputy chair and member of the executive board Informatics Germany (Fakultätentag Informatik der Bundesrepublik Deutschland)
- 2019: Program Co-Chair Evolutionary Multicriterion Optimization Conference, March 2019, Michigan, USA
- 2019: General Co-Chair IEEE Conference on Games, 20-23 August 2019, London, UK
- since 2019: Member of 4ING Board (4ING der Dachverein der Fakultätentage der Ingenieurwissenschaften und der Informatik an Universitäten).
- since 2016: Member of the extended senate of the University of Magdeburg
- sinec 2018: Planning Group Member for Mathematics/Informatics/Engineering - Japanese-German-American Frontiers of Science, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- since 2017: Member of Steering Board, IEEE Transactions on Games (ToG)
- since 2015: Elected member of Administrative Committee (ADCOM) - IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (IEEE-CIS)
- since 2012: Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation
- since 2012: Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics
- since 2016: Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence (TETCI)
- since 2016: Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Systems
- since 2010: Member of Evolutionary Computation Technical Committee (ECTC) - IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS)
- 2017 - 2018: Chair IEEE CIS Young Professionals
- 2017 - 2018: Planning Group Member for Mathematics/Informatics/Engineering - Japanese-German Frontiers of Science, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- 2015 - 2016: Chair IEEE Women in Computational Intelligence (WCI)
- 2015 - 2016: Member of IEEE Women in Engineering Committee (IEEE WIE)
- 2013 - 2014: Editorial Board of Soft Computing (Springer)
- 2010 - 2014: Member of Intelligent Systems Applications Technical Committee - IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS)
- 2011 - 2018: Chair of the Task Force Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization IEEE - CIS
- 2013 - 2015: Founding Chair of the Task Force Optimization Methods in Bioinformatics and Bioengineering (OMBB) IEEE - CIS
- 2011 - 2014: Member of the board of trusties “Applied Informatics Karlsruhe” (AIK) e. V.
- 2016: Technical Co-Chair World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Canada
- 2014: Technical Co-Chair World Congress on Computational Intelligence, China
- 2007 - 2012: Member of faculty board, Faculty of Economic and Business Engineering, KIT
Talks (Keynotes and Plenary)
- 26.04.2019 - Keynote: "Autonomous Decision Making in Intelligent Technical Systems", Opening Ceremony of AI Lab at OsloMet, Oslo, Norway.
- 19.02.2019 - Keynote: "On-the-Fly Optimization and Decision Making in Intelligent Systems", 20ème congrès annuel de la société Française de Recherche Opérationnelle et d’Aide à la Décision, Le Havre, France --> Link
- 11.2017 - Keynote: “Multi-Objective Optimiztaion and Decision Making in Dynamic Environments”, 11th International Conference on Simulated Evolution and Learning, Shenzhen, China
- 29.07.2017 - Plenary Talk: “Decision making swarms”, World congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI), Vancouver, Canada -> Link
- 08.07.2017 - Keynote: “Multi-criteria Decision Making Algorithms”, DAAD, Magdeburg
- 29.07.2016 - Keynote: “Swarm Intelligence: from theory to application in technical systems”, IEEE International Computer Science and Electronic Engineering Conference (CEEC), UK
- 23.09.2015 - Keynote: “Basic Principles of Self-Organization in Technical Systems”, ARCS Conference, Portugal
- 17.02.2012 - Festvortrag: “Invasiv und selbstorganisierend die perfekte Kombination für parallele Algorithmen”, 28. AIK Symposium, KIT, Karlsruhe
Program Committee Member
- Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference GECCO (since 2005)
- Evolutionary Multi-Criterion Optimization EMO (since 2005)
- International Symposium on Aware Computing ISAC (2010, 2011)
- The Eighth International Conference on Simulated Evolution And Learning SEAL (2010, 2011, 2012)
- Congress on Evolutionary Computation CEC (since 2005)
- IEEE Symposium on Multi-Criterion Decision Making MCDM (2007, 2009, 2011)
- The World Conference on Soft Computing in Industrial Applications (since 2006)
- International Conference on Evolutionary Algorithms Theory and Applications ECTA (2011, 2012, 2013)
IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics part B, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Evolutionary Computation Journal, Journal of Artificial Evolution, Journal on Neurocomputing, Journal of Computational Intelligence Research, Journal of Heuristics, Journal of Optimization Methods and Software, International Journal of Soft Computing, International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, International Journal of Systems Science, International Journal of Systems Science, Swarm Intelligence Journal, Computational Optimization and Applications, Computational Intelligence, Operations Research
Link to --> Publications
- Sanaz Mostaghim
- Self-organized Parallel Optimization
- Habilitationsschrift, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), 2012
- Sanaz Mostaghim
- Multi-objective Evolutionary Algorithms: Data structures, Convergence and, Diversity
- PhD Thesis, Sharker Verlag, 2004